Pin It button on image hover

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Happy Halloween! A Freebie!

As we prepare for a week when our students are all hyped up for the thrill, mystery, and candy of Halloween, I am sharing a freebie.

It is a story board, and I am sharing the SMARTBoard version as well as the handout for the students.  You won't need a SMARTBoard to do it.  Here's how it works:

Each student needs a die and a pencil.  I have taken different story elements and put them atop each column.  Under each story element, there are 6 options.  Students ROLL their story.  They roll the die to determine the setting, the conflict...(They love this part!)  As they roll an element, they circle it on their storyboard.  The SMARTBoard version is so that you can model how it works, or you can use it to write your own!

When they have completed the storyboard, they use the elements rolled to write their story.  I usually need to remind my third graders to add details (like naming the characters...)  It is a fun activity, and I hope your kids like it.  If they do, you can easily set others up more storyboards for other times of the year!




5 comments:

Tara said...

This is super fun!!! Thanks for sharing:)

4th Grade Frolics

The Schroeder Page said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I am excited to check it out:)

Shannon said...

OMG! I love this and so will my 6th graders!!! Thanks for sharing-I just printed it! :)

Shannon
http://6thgradescottforesmanreadingstreetresources.wordpress.com/

Pat's Paper Passion said...

Thank YOU!! Will give it a try on Monday...since it looks like the day may be less than productive :)
Pat

A Time to Share & Create


MY WEBSITE

Fabulous 4th Grade

Carol said...

Thank you so much for sharing a creative and useful project. My students will love it.